Veteran ID Card

Veteran ID Card

Armed Forces Veteran ID Card

In Ohio, Veterans can file their military discharge papers (DD214) with the county Recorder’s Office for safekeeping. If their original is ever lost, damaged or destroyed, certified copies can be obtained from this office at no charge.

Original or certified copies of discharge papers (DD214) can be recorded in this office Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. After recording, you will receive your original or certified copy back in the mail within two days.

The Lake County Recorder’s Office is pleased to announce a new program benefiting our United States Armed Forces Veterans. This program allows Lake County Veterans to obtain a Photo Identification Card that will display the veterans branch of service, address and honorable discharge date. This card also contains a volume and page and/or document number, so the discharge record can be easily located by this office when needed.

In order for a Veteran to receive a card, they will have to file, or have already filed, their original or certified copy of their military discharge (DD214) paperwork with the Lake County Recorder’s Office and show valid photo ID.

What to bring:

  1. A legible Original or Certified copy of Honorable discharge (DD214) to be recorded, at no charge to the veteran. (DD214 will be returned to veteran by mail after processing. It can also be picked up by the veteran if requested.)
  2. A valid identification card.
  • If your Honorable discharge is not legible, it must be followed by a letter from the VA translating the discharge.
  • If your Honorable discharge is already recorded in this office, please let us know and we can look it up.

Armed Forces Veteran ID Card can be used:

  • To receive benefits or discounts* at participating retail establishments and restaurants.
  • Proof of military service.
  • To obtain certified copies of your DD214 from the Lake County Recorder's Office.
  • Voter Identification.
NOTE: The discharge papers that are filed in this office are not considered public record and can only be obtained by the veteran, or an authorized individual, with proof of identification. (See Ohio Revised Code §317.24)
*Veteran Discounts (click here).

Link to the Lake County Ohio Veterans Service Office. Click here.

Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, is one of the most important documents that the Service will ever give you. It is your key to participation in all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs as well as several state and federal programs including:

  • Disability Compensation
  • Education and Training
  • Home Loans
  • Loan Guaranty Services
  • Vocational Services
  • Insurance Services
  • Burial & VA Cemeteries

These are just a few of the services that require your discharge papers. You should keep your original document in a safe place, and have certified photocopies available for reference. You can replace your lost discharge papers, but it takes a long time and a lot of effort.

Be safe. In Ohio you can record your DD Form 214 in your county recorder's office.

Register your DD Form 214 with your County Recorder as soon as you separate from the Service. After you record your discharge papers, they can be easily retrieved if you need additional certified copies. DD 214 Request Form.

Tips on Handling Important Documents

  • You should keep all important documents in a safe place.
  • Register or record your documents with your County Recorder. This will insure that your originals are in a safe, fireproof place, and will quickly be accessible to you when you need them in the form of certified copies.
  • Use a certified copy of your original document when someone requires your original document.
  • If your county of residence changes, file your DD 214 with that new county. It will be easier for you if you need additional certified copies.

Replacing a Lost DD Form 214

You can request a copy of your DD Form 214 by writing to the National Personnel Records Center. Include the following information with your request:
  • Your full name
  • Social Security Number
  • Current phone number (with area code)
  • Approximate dates of service
  • Place of discharge
  • Return address
  • Reason for the request.

Send this request to:

National Personnel Records Center

Attention: (Your branch of the Service)


9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Honor Rewards for Veterans

The County Recorder, in partnership with Fidlar Technologies, is excited to announce a new service for our local Veterans, named Honor Rewards.

With Honor Rewards, Veterans can sign-up at the Recorder's office or online to receive an Honor Rewards card, which qualifies them for discounts and incentives at participating businesses in the local community. This service is being made available at no cost to the county and its taxpayers.

This service accompanies the Lake County Recorder's Office dedication to our veterans. Our office serves as the State of Ohio's recommended county backup for preserving original military discharge papers (including DD214) at no charge, along with providing free certified copies of previously recorded discharge papers.

Veterans are encouraged to record their DD214 or other forms of discharge papers if they have not already. This reward program has also received the support of the Lake County Veteran Services Office.

To sign up, all a veteran needs to do is visit the honor rewards website, click on Lake County, OH and fill out the form with details on when they served and with what branch of the armed forces. If an individual prefers to fill out the form in person instead of online they can visit the Recorder's Office during business hours and the staff will assist them.

The service is completely free and once signed up the veteran can expect to receive their Honor Rewards ID card in the mail in 1 to 2 weeks.

Local businesses and retailers can participate in the service by contacting the Recorder's office or using the Business Sign-Up link on the honor rewards website. By participating, their business name and a hyperlink to their business will be listed on the Honor Rewards website for Porter County and they also will be regularly mentioned in email blasts to current Honor Rewards members.

In addition, participating businesses will be provided with promotional materials like door stickers and flyers to promote their involvement.

For more information, contact us at (440) 350-2510.